Organic Baby Food: Facts and Fables.

Organic foods are grown or processed without synthetic fertilizers, harmful chemicals, growth hormones or pesticides. Feeding your newborn baby organic baby food will limit his or her exposure to these toxic substances. However, scientific research does not suggest that organic baby food provides greater nutritional benefits.

Conventional farmers use pesticides to protect their crops from insects, molds and diseases. When growers or farmers spray pesticides, this can leave chemical residue on crops. Organically grown produce contains significantly less pesticide residue than does conventional produce. Some people switch to organic baby food to limit their babies’ exposure to these residues. Infants can be potentially more susceptible to the harmful effects caused by pesticides than are adults. However, residues on most products, organic and nonorganic, generally do not exceed USDA Safety Guideline levels.

Scientific research does not indicate that organic baby food is more nutritious than nonorganic baby food. However, some parents prefer organic baby food because it can be much healthier, and simply taste better. What is most important, however, is feeding their baby a more balanced diet. Offering your child healthy foods from infancy, organic or nonorganic, will encourage them to eat healthy for a lifetime.

Facts

Organic Baby food tastes better– Free of synthetic chemicals and pesticides, organic food generally does have a better taste than conventional food. This goes for baby food as well. Taste will be the key for baby food’s palatability.

 Organic Baby food contains fewer heavy metals– Organic produce grown without chemical fertilizers and pesticides contains lower levels of toxic metals. An undeniable effect of organic growing methods is lower levels of these heavy metal residues from the soil. This is especially important for pregnant women, babies, and children. Some heavy metals, like  have been linked to developmental delays and even ADHD.

Baby’s organic milk with a longer shelf life- Proven fact is that organic milk in general lasts longer in the fridge. The chemicals found in conventional milk accelerate its degradation and eventual decomposition.

Nonorganic wheat in cereal contains weed killers- Conventionally grown wheat is almost certainly sprayed with glyphosate, as a weedkiller. An EWG.org article found this harmful chemical in an alarming number of cereals intended for children. Switching to organic wheat and grain products for children and also adults, is a good idea.

 Organic Baby food has more nutrients- Recent scientific studies suggest that organic food is higher in some crucial nutrients than its conventional counterpart. Organic milk and dairy has been conclusively shown to be much higher in Omega-3 (good fats) and lower in Omega-6 fats than conventional milk. In addition, eggs and meat have higher amounts of Omega-3. Therefore, organic food products offer more health benefits than conventional food products.

Fables

Organic Baby food containing GMOs are harmful- GMOs have so far not been shown to harm consumers. There is no evidence of any harmful impacts from eating genetically engineered crops that are grown today. Why does the anti-GMO idea persist? The idea of introducing foreign genes into the food you eat, anti-GMO researchers argue, is meddling with the characteristics of organisms and can cause DNA damage. Scientists are often accused of overreaching their boundaries. Research has yet to see any evidence that suggests that GMO crops are any more dangerous than their conventional counterparts.

Organic Baby food uses natural chemicals- “Natural” herbicides and pesticides are not always safer than manmade (synthetic) alternatives. Many of the most potent toxins on our planet are “natural’, like nicotine, rotenone, vitamin D3, lead and mercury.  It would be wrong to assume that anything natural is healthy.

Products labeled organic are guaranteed their purity- For products to display the USDA “organic” label, only 95 percent of the ingredients must be organic. There are about 220 non-organic substances producers can to add to food without sacrificing the organic claim. In addition, the remaining 5 percent could be sprayed with herbicides and pesticides. The other 95 percent could be exposed to USDA approved biological or botanical pest controls. Similarly, the approved addition of chemicals from a list of allowable compounds toxic to weeds and bugs, but supposedly safe for people.

Organic Baby Food has no texture- That is a myth. Organic baby food is basically puree or a mash, and other ingredients added for texture. To make organic baby food, they start with any organic fruit or vegetable as a base. In addition, to add more nutrition and texture into the food, they blend a grain like lentils into the mix. Similarly, veggies and fruits can be blended for added texture and flavor.

Summary

Researching the ingredients of both conventional and organic baby foods and making your own organic baby food at home might be the best, safest, and healthiest option for you and your family. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Shopping Cart